Thursday 23 June 2016

Day 16 - Hanover, Maine to Rutland, Vermont

Had rain last night, having the tarp up helped keep the tent dry for packing up in the morning.

A short ride to the New Hampshire border and then to Mount Washington. The last time we passed this way (2 yrs ago), it had been raining, cool & the mountain was shrouded in mist & clouds. We continued on our journey. 

We hoped today would be a good one to explore it. The conditions were favourable and we were told they were "open" for motorcycles.

The majority of the 8 mile climb up is on pavement with some steep inclines, blind corners & curves. The recommended speed is 20-25 miles/hr. 

The last couple of miles are challenging, on a motorcycle, at least I found them to be. One section is dirt, quite narrow & steep. 

Two yrs ago we drove the Cabot Trail on our bikes. I had this awful experience where I reached a hairpin which then climbed steeply with curves & had a car right up my butt. I missed a gear, faltered slightly & recovered but feared greatly that I would end up off the bike & run over by this close following car. As soon as I could, I pulled off to the right, stopped & just let the tears fall & the shaking gradually subsided as Pat came to my rescue. 

I had a somewhat similar time today on Mount Washington. Another hairpin turn, on pavement and with no car behind me. There was a car that pulled off to the right in front of me as I approached the turn & this may have taken away from my focus. I took the turn in second instead of first gear and had to shift down on a very steep uphill. I wobbled, moved into the oncoming traffic lane (thankfully nothing coming), put my feet down in case it stalled & I needed to ground myself, but I held on, got the gear down & revs up & recovered.

I could see Pat up ahead checking his mirror watching me, checking to make sure I was ok.

The top parking area has 2 levels & we parked on the first which was thick, chunky gravel. I still felt a bit shaky but the unfolding view had me mesmerized already.

We walked around, took some pics, video, checked out the museum, had a snack/tea. There were some clouds/mist when we started up but they dispersed by the time we reached the top.

The view was absolutely phenomenal. It is posted that on a clear day you can see across to 5 states and Canada. The highest velocity of winds ever recorded (in 1934) were from there at over 200 miles per hour.

Soon it was time to head back down & I felt a small twinge of unease. I kept front & centre of my focus - low gear & back brake on dirt.....

All worked out fine and we passed many bikers going up and down. We followed a couple of really nice scenic, curvy roads as we still needed to put in some mileage for the day. 

After picking up some groceries, it started getting later & we didn't see a campground or they were state campgrounds in the trees and likely extra costs like park passes.

Eventually we found a private campground on a farm. The couple who run it (since 1968) were planning their (large) garden when we arrived.

The open, sunny sites meant we could enjoy our dinner, even if a bit later than usual.

It was a bit rustic yet quiet and calm for a restful sleep.

Total mileage today - 375 km




This sign is posted at the bottom of the climb up the mountain



We stopped partway up & took this selfie







2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the blog but I can't watch any of the videos for some reason? It's just a picture for me! I'm happy you're both home safe and can't wait to hear more stories when I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, thanks for letting me know. Not sure why the video clips not playing, could be a techy issue, will check it out.

    ReplyDelete