Tuesday 7 June 2016

Day 1 - On the Road again!

We left home bit later after coordinating planned & last minute pick-ups & drop-offs around the ongoing repaving work at our condo complex. 

My bike felt very odd at first. It felt like the front tire or suspension was loose! Pat said it was because all the weight I am carrying is on the back end & my metal boxes are not super tight. No time to spare & inquire why I didn't notice this on my 2009 KLR last year as we set out for Inuvik?

It took a few km and turns before I felt back in the saddle again. Winds were strong today as we headed east. I loathe driving my bike on the 401 or any major highway for that matter so we took a route north of Toronto & out the other side. Drawback is that you tend to go through many small towns, stoplights.

Our new headset intercom system seemed to work great but we left them on "transmit" for too many hours instead of figuring out with gloved fingers how to activate it only when we wanted to talk. As a result, they died after about 4 hrs.

We arrived in Smith Falls and met up with my friend Theresa. She kindly put us up for the night as rain was forecasted overnight. The Victoria campground by the canal did not look entirely enticing so we took her up on her offer. 

After some ice cream & sangria, made complete with the addition of vodka I brought along, we crashed for the night. It appears the 2 cords I brought did not include the one needed to charge the headset, thank you Theresa for coming to the rescue!

Below are a few pics from our walkabout to a local pub for dinner as Theres lives very close to the Rideau canal.

Total mileage today - 410 km






No comments:

Post a Comment